What is App Development?: Developing a Cross Platform Mobile Application
Mobile App Development
In today’s fast paced world people are wondering what really is mobile app development. Mobile application development is the process of making or creating a mobile application to run on various mobile platforms. A mobile platform is a mobile operating system. Apple’s mobile operating system is called iOS, Google’s mobile platform is Android, RIM has Blackberry, and Windows has Windows Mobile. Each platform has its own rules, regulations, and requirements to make a mobile application. For instance iOS mobile apps require the use of Objective C, whereas Android mobile applications use Java.
This is very important to understand because when making an application for mobile app development on the various mobile platforms you cannot just make one app and port it over to the next platform. In addition you must consider what application stores you wish to have your mobile application highlighted in. Each mobile application store has its own requirements most mobile applications must meet outside the requirements for the mobile platform.
Wikipedia decribes mobile app development as
When deciding what kind of mobile application development is right for you first consider what your overall goal is. Are you making a game, informational piece, or utility? Once you know what you’re making then decide what platform would be best for your mobile application. Android has a very high market penetration however the users have a tendency of only going for free apps. Also due to the various operating system variations of Android development can be more challenging. Apple has a high number users and people are more willing to pay for them, however development is more challenging to meet Apple’s requirements on being published.
When thinking about how and why to build a mobile application and begin development it is important to think about how you plan to proceed. The steps you should follow is
- Define Success: Is success x number of downloads or x amount of money or x active users. Keep it realistic though.
- What is your budget? The average cost of an application can range from $3,000 to over a Million Dollars so it is important to define your budget.
- What Platforms are you going to be on? It is important to decide where your market is, what the best way to reach them is, and what gives you the biggest opportunity.
- What are your features? Apps are not websites, you need to create good features that people want to use and have a good user interface.
- What are you going to do once it is published? Make sure you have a game plan of how you are going to market and push your mobile application.
If you have more questions on mobile application development or want more information how we can help please feel free to contact us today through email email@example.com or calling (269) 532-1500.